Daniel Radcliffe was just 11 when he became the face of Harry Potter, a name of greater fame than some world leaders can even aspire to. Despite the opportunities for him to become a walking 5’5” ego, Radcliffe has aged into being super witty, very polite, pretty awkward, and fearlessly self-deprecating.
He is 25 today, and in celebration of his birthday, here are some things you may not know about him:
1. Radcliffe made his feature film debut before “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone,” playing the son of Geoffrey Rush’s character in “The Tailor of Panama,” the 2001 adaptation of the John Le Carre novel. You can hear a very young Daniel Radcliffe’s voice at 39 seconds in the trailer here, as he asks “Are you seeing the President today, Dad?”
2. Radcliffe quit drinking in 2010, at the age of 20. Hear him talk about his impressively mature reasons why here. Note that, contrary to the traditional chaos on-set that prompts such a decision from a movie star, all of his costars deny that he was ever destructively drunk.
3. He is a total slob, but in an endearing rather than spoiled way. See Susan Blackwell teach him to do laundry here.
4. Radcliffe has made the perilous transition to adult actor. He gave a spectacular performance in the role of poet Allen Ginsberg in 2013’s “Kill Your Darlings.” For comparison, James Franco had played the same role three years earlier in his self-produced movie “Howl.” Radcliffe’s Ginsberg blows Franco’s out of the water. He’s also reinventing the rom-com in this summer’s “What If” and will take on the unglamorous role of Igor in the latest Frankenstein reboot, due out in 2015.
5. An adult Daniel Radcliffe and JK Rowling did a back and forth interview – really more of a casual conversation in front of the cameras. It’s unbelievably good, even if you just watch any five minute segment clicked at random. Also works as a great primer course in how to be a lovely person.
Share your favorite Daniel Radcliffe moment in the comment and get ready for the long career Radcliffe looks to have in store for him!