Lifetime’s “Devious Maids” made a splash last summer, simultaneously earning its place as the heir apparent to “Desperate Housewives” – which is fitting as both come from scribe Marc Cherry – and courting some controversy of its own. But after quickly becoming fastest-growing scripted series in the cable network’s history, “Maids” was renewed for a second season.
We’ve seen the season 2 opener, directed by Eva Longoria, and here are 5 teases to get you primed for the show’s sure-to-be juicy sophomore run:
1. For those who were worried that the wrap-up of the “Who killed Flora?” mystery would mean undercover mother Marisol would have no place on the show, fret not. She may have ditched the uniform, but she’s got a new romantic entanglement – and perhaps a little maid drama of her own – to keep her busy.
2. We can’t reveal too much, but let’s just say that Evelyn Powell’s lothario husband, Adrian (Tom Irwin), gets a little karmic justice in the maid department – on more than one occasion – in the season premiere.
3. Despite being deported by her vapid movie actress boss, Peri Westmore (Mariana Klaveno) for sleeping with her husband at the end of season 1, Rosie (Dania Ramirez) too still has her place on the show, but she might want to prepare for a fight.
4. Last season, a dinner party came to a screeching halt when Michael Stappord’s (departing cast member Brett Cullen) ex-wife attempted to take her own life outside the dining room window. But if you think that’s a bad way to end dinner party, in the words of Bachman-Turner Overdrive: You ain’t seen nothing yet.
5. The premiere introduces a terrific homage to the 1938 novel-turned-Hitchcock classic “Rebecca.” And it's not just a passing resemblance. There's even a reference to the source material's scribe, Daphne du Maurier. But who is Rebecca in this scenario? You’ll have to tune in to find out.
The season 2 premiere of “Devious Maids” debuts Sunday, April 20 at 10pm on Lifetime. If you need a refresher on last season, we've got you covered: