With just two days until MTV’s 2013 Video Music Awards, we’re counting down the top crazy performances over the past three decades:
1. Madonna – Like a Virgin (1984)
There’s no better way to kick off this list with one of the first VMA performances – not to mention one of the craziest. Madge took the stage in a full-on wedding gown, atop a giant cake with a mannequin groom. Though Madonna is often known for her out-there performances, her “Like a Virgin” performance also showed off her incredible pipes.
2. Madonna, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera & Missy Elliott – “Like a Virgin” Medley (2003) This not only marks a big return for the scene-stealing Madonna, but it’s also a return to her iconic 1984 performance of “Like a Virgin.” This time, the Queen of Pop had some help, in the form of Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Missy Elliot. This Madonna medley opened with an homage to “Like a Virgin” in the form of a duet between Brit and Xtina, before Madonna rose out from the stage to wow the crowd with her singing and a few legendary smooches.
3. Britney Spears – “Gimme More” (2007) While Brit’s 2001 “Slave 4 U” performance with a giant snake was shocking, this performance was jaw-dropping in a different way. After the pop star’s very public breakdown, her rendition of “Gimme More” was supposed to be her big comeback, and it wasn’t. Britney clearly wasn’t ready for a return to the spotlight, looking a little lost while dancing and noticeably lip-synching. Yet now that Britney is truly back, and soon “All Eyes” will be on her once again.
4. Lady Gaga – “You and I” (2011)Gaga is known for her outlandish costumes and performing style, from wearing a meat dress to being carried into the Grammys in a giant egg. Still, her rendition of “You and I” was surprising in a different way, as the performance artist gave a full monologue dressed as her male persona, Jo Calderone. Gaga went on to sing “You and I” in Jo’s getup, kicking things off at the piano before breaking into dance. Like Madonna, she proved that she might be wild, but she’s a more-than-capable songstress.
5. Beyonce – “Love on Top” (2011)Beyonce singing “Love on Top” is easily the most traditional appearance on the list. In fact, it was way less out-there than Gaga’s performance that same year. Still, nothing beats Bey finishing up an incredible vocal performance by revealing that she was in fact expecting a baby! After the track ended, Beyonce pulled back her sequined jacket to show off the tummy panel hiding her now one-year-old daughter, Blue Ivy Carter.
Place your bets on who will take home the prize for craziest performance this Sunday: Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus or the rumored *NSYNC reunion?